SAVE THE DATE!
Wear of Materials 2019
22nd International Conference on Wear of Materials
Join us for the 22nd International Conference on Wear of Materials, which will take place in Miami, Florida, USA from the 14–18 April 2019.
“A rare opportunity to meet and communicate with the experts in the same research fields.”
21st International Conference on Wear of Materials delegate
More information to be posted here soon!
Wear of Materials 2017
21st International Conference on Wear of Materials
26-30 March 2017 | Hilton Long Beach, California, USA
Welcome to the 21st International Conference on Wear of Materials, which will take place in California, USA from the 26-30 March 2017.
The conference will focus on both the fundamental and applied aspects of wear and friction of materials at the macro-, micro-, and nano-scale. It will address the understanding of tribological phenomena; particularly the progression in recent decades. Special sessions will concentrate on wear of tools and tooling materials, hot and cold erosion (droplet, solid and cavity-based erosion), wear of brake/frictional materials, marine wear systems, role of third bodies during wear, and surface texturing for wear reduction.
The 21st International Conference on Wear of Materials will provide a unique international forum for researchers and practicing engineers from different disciplines to interact and exchange their latest understandings.
Kenneth C. Ludema Honorary Symposium
A special symposium, honoring the International Wear of Materials Conference co-founder, Professor Ken Ludema, took place during the 21st International Wear of Materials Conference. This year’s event marks the 40th anniversary of the conference that Ken chaired in 1977.
Seong Kwan Rhee’s dinner speech remembering Professor Ken Ludema can be viewed here.
Confirmed speakers to date include:
Oyelayo Ajayi, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
Somuri Prasad, Sandia National Laboratory, USA
David Rigney, Ohio State University, USA
Seong Kwan Rhee, SKR Consulting, LLC, USA
Vern Wedeven, Wedeven Associates, USA
- Sliding Wear
- Fretting Wear
- Impact Wear
- Abrasive Wear
- Elevated Temperature Wear
- Lubricated Wear
- Thick and Thin Coatings
- Wheel/Rail Contact
- Modeling and Simulation
- Biotribology – hard materials
- Biotribology – soft materials
- Polymers and PMCs
- Ceramics and CMCs
- Metals and MMCs
- Erosion and Erosion-Corrosion
- Wear Testing and Monitoring
- Friction Materials including Brakes
- Wear of Tools and Tooling Materials
- Role of Third Bodies during Wear
- Surface Texturing
- Marine Wear Systems
- Others (not listed above)
We welcome engaging posters that address a specific tribological topic that has academic or industrial relevance to WOM attendees and the greater tribology community.
Full paper submission to the special issue of WOM in Wear journal has started. All authors who are invited to submit a full paper to the special issue should have received an email with instructions on how to submit. Please note that the acceptance of a paper after peer-review is absolutely mandatory in order for an oral presentation at WOM2017. The deadline of full paper submission is 2nd September 2016.
The tutorial session, which is held on the afternoon before the conference, has the aim of providing a fundamental overview of wear and wear testing. It is designed to provide a refresher course for those with some experience of tribology, and also covers the basics for those new to the field. Click here for more information >>
Click to download apps
Kenneth C. Ludema Honorary Symposium Speakers
- Oyelayo Ajayi, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- Somuri Prasad, Sandia National Laboratory, USA
- Seong Kwan Rhee, SKR Consulting, LLC, USA
- David Rigney, Ohio State University, USA
- Vern Wedeven, Wedeven Associates, USA
- Cris Schwartz, Iowa State University, IA, USA
- Tom Scharf, University of North Texas, USA
- Alfons Fischer, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- Sriram Sundararajan, Iowa State University, USA
- Steve Shaffer, Bruker Nano Surfaces, CA, USA
Liaison for journal ‘Wear’
- Peter Blau, Blau Tribology Consulting, USA
- Philip Shipway, Univ of Nottingham, UK
Immediate Past Chair
- Peter Filip, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, USA
- Marcello Papini, Ryerson University, Canada
- Jun Qu, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Mark Gee, National Physical Lab (NPL), UK
- Richard Chromik, McGill University, Canada
- Ken Budinski, Bud Labs, USA
Session Coordinator: Role of Third Bodies
- Martin Dienwiebel, KIT and Fraunhofer IWM, Germany
Session Coordinator: Surface Texturing
- Philippe Kapsa, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France
Session Coordinator: Brakes
- Agusti Sin, ITT Motion Technologies, Italy
Session Coordinator: Tools & Tooling Materials
- Stephan Huth, Hilti, Corporation, Germany
Session Coordinator: Erosion, Marine Systems
- Robert Wood, University of Southampton, UK