24th International Conference on Wear of Materials
Banff, Alberta, Canada | 16-20 April 2023
At present, we intend to host the 24th International Conference on Wear of Materials onsite in Banff, Canada from 16-20 April 2023, to best facilitate in-person networking and learning.
However, as the future situation regarding international travel remains uncertain, rest assured that should this conference be unable to take place in person, it will be changed to an online event. Should this change need to occur we will let you know as soon as we are able and your registration will be carried over to the online event, with a refund of any difference in registration fee. Should this not be appropriate for you at the time, we will be able to refund your registration, minus a cancellation fee. Should the organisers cancel the conference, you will be entitled to a full refund. Please see here for our full cancellation policy.
To protect the health and safety of all our conference attendees, Elsevier requires proof of Covid-19 vaccinations or a negative lateral flow test (taken under the supervision of authorized health professionals, within 48 hours) to be eligible to attend. This will be coupled with mask wearing throughout the conference.
For full information on the Elsevier conferences Covid-19 requirements, please visit Covid-19 delegate safety page.
The 24th International Conference on Wear of Materials is a prestigious, long-established conference which provides a unique international forum for researchers and practicing engineers from different disciplines to interact and exchange their latest results.
The conference will focus on advances in the understanding of both the fundamental and applied aspects of wear and friction of materials. It is unique for its paper submission process with full peer review in collaboration with the Elsevier journal Wear to ensure the technical quality of presentations.
Previous delegates have said:
“This conference has a great reputation in which a large and diversified group of delegates from all over globe take in part.”
“It is the most focused conference in the field of wear.”
This edition of the conference will include special sessions on wear and related topics in transportation, renewable energy, biotribology, tool wear, and surface engineering for wear reduction. We welcome both experimental and modeling work in format of full length research paper or case study with focus on wear of materials. A full list of topical areas are listed below.
Oral and poster abstracts are now invited on the following topics and should be submitted using the online abstract submission system.
Deadline: 27 May 2022
- Ceramics and CMCs
- Cutting and Tool Wear
- Erosion and Erosion-Impact
- Extreme Environment Wear including High and Low Temperatures and Vacuum
- Fretting Wear
- Lubricated Wear
- Metals and MMCs
- Polymers and PMCs, Friction Materials
- Role of Third Bodies
- Rolling Wear including Bearing, Gear, and Rail
- Sliding Wear including scuffing and galling
- Surface Engineering including Coatings, Surface Treatment, Surface Texturing
- Transportation Wear including Automotive, Aerospace, and Marine
- Tribocorrosion including erosion-corrosion
- Wear in Renewable and Sustainable Technologies
- Wear Testing and Monitoring
- Emerging topics
This 24th International Conference on Wear of Materials is not associated or related to any other conferences with similar conference names.
- Jun Qu, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA
- Richard Chromik, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
- Martin Dienwiebel, KIT and Fraunhofer IWM, Germany
- Stefanie Hanke, University Duisburg-Essen, Germany
- Steve Shaffer, Shaffer Tribology Consulting, CA, USA
Immediate Past Chair
- Sriram Sundararajan, Iowa State University, USA
Liaison for the journal Wear
- Marcello Papini, Ryerson University, Canada
- Peter Blau, Blau Tribology Consulting, NC, USA
- Laura Peña Parás, Universidad de Monterrey, Mexico
- Wenjun Cai,Virginia Tech, VA, USA
- Thomas Scharf, University of North Texas, TX, USA
- Mark Gee, National Physical Lab (NPL), UK
Session Coordinator: Engine Tribology
- Peter Lee, Southwest Research Institute, TX, USA
Session Coordinator: Role of Third Bodies during wear
- Sylvie Descartes, INSA Lyon, France
Session Coordinator: Erosion and Erosion-Corrosion
- Robert Wood, University of Southampton, UK
Session Coordinator: Fretting Wear
- Siegfried Fouvry, Ecole Centrale Lyon, France
Session Coordinator: Modeling and Simulation
- Gianandrea Vittorio Messa, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Liaison-alternate for journal ‘Wear’
- Alfons Fischer, Max-Planck-Institute fuer Eisenforschung, Germany
- Ken Budinski, Bud Labs, USA